BalkanCom 2023 Special Session:
Organizers and Chairs:
- Mikail Erdem, Sabanci University, Turkey
- Wolfgang Gerstacker, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität (FAU) Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
Scope of the Papers
The Terahertz (THz) band from 0.1 THz to 10 THz will be of paramount importance for future wireless communications. In particular, due to its abundant frequency resources, the THz band will be a key to overcome the spectrum scarcity and capacity limitations inherent to current wireless systems. It is anticipated that THz band communications will enable unprecedented applications both at the macro-scale and nano-scale, including high-speed satellite communications, drone communications, ultra-high-capacity wireless fronthaul/backhaul in cellular networks, ultra-high-speed short-distance data transfer between devices, inter/intra-chip communications, and instantaneous data exchange between nano-scale devices.
However, many challenges unique to THz communications have to be still addressed. This Special Session will present the most recent advances with respect to the theoretical foundations and practical applications of THz communications. Prospective authors are cordially invited to submit their original manuscripts on topics including but not limited to:
- Channel characterization, modeling and measurements for THz communications
- Modulation, waveform design and coding for THz communications
- Channel estimation, detection and equalization for THz communications
- THz transmission schemes robust to phase noise
- Low resolution A/D conversion aware receivers
- Machine learning aided THz communications
- (Ultra-Massive) multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) THz systems
- Beam alignment, beamforming, beamtracking and precoding for THz communications
- Intelligent surfaces assisted THz communications
- Near-field THz communications
- Resource allocation and scheduling for THz communications
- Prototypes, testbeds and experimental results for THz communications
- Realizations of THz communications systems
- THz communications for scenarios with high mobility
- THz communications for 6G and the IoT
- THz drone, UAV, HAPS and satellite communications
- THz inter/intra-chip communications
- THz communications for the internet of bio-nano things
- Other applications of THz communications
This Special Session will feature both invited papers and papers from open call. Full papers and short papers/extended abstracts as defined below can be submitted. Submissions are now accepted through EDAS.
Full Papers: Full paper submissions of original work (not previously published, or under review at another conference or journal) must not be longer than five pages. Accepted papers will be submitted for inclusion into IEEE Xplore subject to meeting IEEE Xplore’s scope and quality requirements.
Short Papers and Extended Abstracts: Submissions must not be longer than two pages. They should convince the reader that the author(s) would give an exciting presentation and stimulate lively discussion (will NOT be published in the conference proceedings).
- Paper submission deadline: April 5, 2023
- Notification of acceptance: April 27, 2023
- Camera-ready papers due: May 10, 2023